When thinking about a purchasing decision, such as for shirts, pants, or shoes, it is nice to have a set of contexts. I use four all together. One of my favorites and most used is The Maine Coast.
When choosing between items, I might ask, "Would it work on the Maine Coast?" For example, this tends to lead away from:
- Intense shades of pink and green;
- Florals, or bold patterns in general;
- High maintenance materials.
- Subdued colors such as navy, khaki, hunter green and white;
- Solids, stripes, tattersalls or tartans;
- Heartier items.