I don't own jeans, nor does anyone in my family. I believe they are not preppy, and most of the time when someone is wearing jeans, he or she would simply look better in khaki canvas pants.
But, here are pictures from my own archives of people I know doing things I love, wearing jeans.
One can argue the case of jeans in terms that are:
- historic - for people rebelling from over-crowded New England going to the open-west, jeans (better called dungarees) were invented in 1873 by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss. They were then adopted by and by youths rebelling in the 1950s;
- aesthetic - how do comparable outfits look with or without jeans; and
- functional - toughness (thus their use for prison uniforms), cost, availability.
If there is a conclusion, I would say that paradoxically (IMO):
- Jean are the epitome of a classic, enduring American style.
- Jeans are not preppy.
- Many preppy people wear straight legged jeans.
- Many great activities attract the use of jeans.