It is sometimes hard, in the moment, to differentiate between cycles and trends compared to permanent changes and evolutions. One would like to believe, for example, that today's flimsy clothes are just a trend. In contrast, Hopefully the incredible year-over-year increases in availability of fresh, locally grown produce are permanent.
Here are some of the items available today (compared to in May).
- Lettuce: for salads
- Carrots: for steaming and in soups
- Green beans: for eating raw and steaming
- Peaches: for eating raw and in pies
- Apples: for eating raw and in pies
- Leeks: for leek and potato chowder
- Onions: for sautéing in beans and rice dishes and sautéing for soups
- Beets: for steaming
- Tomatoes: for salads and eaten raw
- Broccoli: for steaming and in a broccoli/scallion/garlic over pasta dish
- Peppers: for eating raw
- Cabbage: for cabbage salad (raw)
- Raspberries: for eating raw and in blended fruit drink with yogurt, bananas, and other berries.